Monday, March 30, 2009

earth hour 09

I'd had the best of intentions to have an Earth Hour hootananny at my place this past Saturday evening, but then decided that my flat still isn't visitor-friendly, seeing as how I have no chairs, no table, and really nowhere for any more than two people to hang out at any one time. I also had visions of knocking over tealights and setting fire to my neighbours bungalows, all in close proximity. Regardless, Earth Hour 2009 went on without us, and my friend Bridget and I did our best, sitting outside with candles lit and copious amounts of wine (my ecological response to most Saturday evenings, admittedly). If you're not familiar with the concept, Earth Hour started in Sydney in 2007, and quickly grew into a global observance. More than 1,000 cities in over 80 countries observed Earth Hour 2009 on Saturday March 28th, as homes, office towers and landmarks turned off their lights for an hour starting at 8.30 pm local time to raise awareness about climate change and the threat from rising greenhouse gas emissions. Collected here are a series of before-and-after photographs - which (starting with the second one below) will fade between on and off when clicked. Pretty cool stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment